5 Steps to Create the Perfect Design for Your Home Renovation
The good news is you have decided it’s time for a home renovation and now you are super excited to start. The not so good news is now you have to design, and that terrifies you. Therefore, I created these five steps to arm you with the tools and education to alleviate your fears and make the process fun. You will also save a lot of design fees by performing these tasks. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Know Thyself
- Determine what you can spend on the home renovation.
By calling contractors and explaining your project details, you can quickly get a price range. It is essential because you don’t want to waste money or time planning to design a project that is not reasonable nor can you afford.
- Make a list of all the items you would like to remodel. Separate the must-haves vs. the dream. Take pictures of these items and place them with the list in a file labeled “Home Remodel.” Keep all of your information in this file to share with your contractor.
- Think about how you want your family’s lifestyle to change. Would you like a better area for the family to congregate in the kitchen? Have you always dreamed of having the look of Little Italy? Would you like to feature a wine collection or become a sous chef? Now is your chance to live out some real fantasies. Read on to see just how to make that happen for your home renovation.
Step 2: Study the Market
- Open an account at HOUZZ.com. Here’s a great link to help you set up and account and start idea books jillianlare.com/houzz-ideabooks-tutorial. Here you will access to thousands of current pictures of every style, feature, accessories in every room in the house and by any geographic area. Save the images you like and make notes to share with your designer later. The more you do here, the easier it is for your or your designer to find what you like faster.
- It’s crucial you make a detailed list of the names of the materials you want. You will need this list to perform research in step four. HOUZZ has a feature where you can find out the names of tile, counter, paint colors, or anything you like.
Step 3: Educate Thyself
- By knowing some of the essential rules of design, you will be well equipt to prevent crucial mistakes commonly made by even the best designers. It’s not that hard. Spend the time necessary to make yourself familiar with these home renovation sources. I made it easy by providing the link to NKNB Kitchen & Bathroom Planning Guidelines with Access Standards.
- Here is the NKBA Bath Design Survey.
- Here is the NKBA Kitchen Design Survey.
- Learn everything you need to know about color theory here.
- For Energy Efficiency, check out NARI’s link for best practices.
- The Department of Justice (DOJ) published the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Standards for Accessible Design in September 2010. These standards state that all electronic and information technology must be accessible to people with disabilities.
- Here is NARI’s link to find a world of remodeling information.
Step 4: Hit the Road
- Now that you have your list of materials and ideas, it’s time to take it a step further. Search your local area for vendors online who sell these products. An example would be “travertine tile.” You can google “travertine tile Austin, Texas” to get a list of the tile stores that sell travertine. First, see if they have good reviews. Then go to their website and look at their inventory. If you like what you see, contact them to set an appointment to see the tile in person. Ask for pricing, products specifications, maintenance requirements, and a sample. Once you start collecting samples, always bring them with you to the other appointment to help you match the selections. Below I made a list of most of the categories you will need to consider. I linked some of my favorite local companies, so if you live in Austin, you are in luck.
- Plumbing Fixtures
- Electric Fixtures
- Hardware, Accessories
- Windows, Doors
- Tile and wood
- Door Glass
- Shower Glass
- Paint Colors
Step 5: Hire a Professional?
Would you perform open heart surgery on a friend because you grew up watching General Hospital? Of course not! Although home remodeling is not life or death, your home is one of your most significant investments. Design mistakes can create long term anguish and hurt the value of your home. Do your homework and take the time to learn your needs now and into the future to enhance the outcome and lower your design fee.
After that, it’s time to let a talented professional take over. A seasoned designer has the experience needed to guide you through this challenging and daunting task. There is a copious amount of detail that you probably don’t know about nor even considered. Even though the design may be great, construction issues during your home renovation will present real-time design problems that will need to be worked out on the fly. Without help from a pro, it could be a stressful and costly endeavor. Qualified designers can also perform CAD (Computer Aided Drawings), source samples, and bring fresh ideas to the table. If you hire the right designer, you will add value to your home and love the results.
By following these five steps, you can be sure to create the perfect design for your home renovation. Take the time to learn about your family’s needs and study the market. Hire a qualified designer to help you with difficult choices. As a result, your family will be happy and have an enjoyable experience!
Thank you for reading this blog, “5 Steps to Create the Perfect Design for Your Home Renovation.” This blog is the second part of the series entitled, “Home Remodeling Zombie Survival Guide.” If you have questions, please make comments below or email me at [email protected] You can also visit our site http://NewCreationsAustin.com